Nikita Mazepin terminated by Haas after Russian invasion

KANNAPOLIS, NC — The Haas Formula One team has terminated Russian driver Nikita Mazepin’s contract “with immediate effect” following the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Mazepin tweeted that he was “very disappointed” with the outcome.

The decision follows F1’s decision to terminate its contract with the Russian GP. That contract ran until 2025.

Haas also ended its sponsorship with the Russian company Uralkali, owned by Mazepin’s father.

“Like the rest of the Formula 1 community, the team is shocked and saddened by the invasion of Ukraine and wishes a swift and peaceful end to the conflict,” Haas said in a statement on Saturday.

23-year-old Mazepin did not score a point in his debut F1 season last year alongside Mick Schumacher, the son of seven-time F1 champion Michael Schumacher.

“I’ll have more to say in the coming days,” Mazepin said in his tweet.

Last week, Haas removed its Uralkali sponsorship and drove white cars on the final day of pre-season testing in Barcelona, ​​instead of the typical red, white and blue with a livery similar to the Russian flag.

Pre-season testing continues next week in Bahrain, ahead of the season-opening race there on March 20.