Polyphony Digital has the Gran Turismo 7 . dropped (opens in new tab) Update 1.11, which fixes the microtransaction hell by massively increasing race rewards. In addition, you have new events and lots of small upgrades.
It’s been a strange few weeks since GT7 launched. It started with fanfare but then trouble came when Polyphony ruined credit rewards and started ruining the game (opens in new tab)†
After the quick and sharp response that made this the lowest-rated Sony game on Metacritic, it took a whooping turn and this is the first of many responses to the issues.
What has been resolved?
The full patch notes (opens in new tab) get into all the details about every update made across the board, including small but welcome tweaks like:
- Adding an extra level to the anti-lag system.
- Increase the maximum limit for in-game credits to 100 million.
- Updates to car physics simulation, such as improving jump landings on dirt roads.
- Improving the sanctions system to be a bit fairer to Goodwood and to better punish short-takers.
- Option to play music in 7.1 surround sound while racing.
- Extension of the term of invitations to buy a car to 30 days.
- Increasing the number of used cars and legendary cars for sale at the same time.
However, this update does much more than that, which we can summarize in three points.
Dive into the world circuits and mission menus and you’ll notice some new additions:
- World Touring Car 600 Tokyo Expressway East clockwise.
- World Touring Car 700 24 Heures du Mans Racing Circuit.
- World Touring Car 800 Sardegna Road Track A.
- 1 hour ‘The Human Comedy’ endurance racing missions (accessible at Collector’s Level 23).
This is the big one. Polyphony promised big increases and we certainly got big increases. Credit reward amounts have been massively increased for the second half of World Circuit, Arcade and Custom Races, Circuit Experience missions, online races and missions – basically for any type of event.
To give you an idea of what to expect, endurance events will earn you 1.2 million credits each, and if you get all the gold at the Nürburgring Nordschleife Circuit Experience, that’s 5 million credits.
You can easily earn more money in one day with this game than in a whole week (from personal experience). And if you’ve already achieved gold in Circuit Experience events, just go to the sector selection screen and hit the exit button to get the updated prize.
What’s left to fix?
One obvious one that Sony has confirmed is coming, but isn’t there yet, is the option to sell your cars. This feature should appear in a future update as it was on the separate list without a fixed launcher.
Finally, I sound like a broken record now, but Polyphony really needs to make all single player content available in offline mode.
Not all of us are blessed with a perfect internet connection. For example, I live next to a ruddy river and that means (for some strange reason) that I’m the victim of several power outages. Getting this problem towards the end of a long race is quite a kick in the teeth.
Millions of players are left with just crumbs of content when servers are in maintenance mode. I’m sure this won’t be the last time I ask. Please, Sony! Make it so!