As more states accept digital records at TSA checkpoints, you may be wondering, “How do I add my ID to Apple Wallet?” Well, the first question to ask is whether your region supports Apple Wallet IDs. At the time of writing, only Maryland and Arizona recognize Apple Wallet IDs.
After you confirm that your state accepts Wallet IDs, you can add your driver’s license or state ID, but keep in mind that Apple Wallet requires verification from your state’s car administration. So make sure your ID is “green lit” before attempting to clear an airport security checkpoint.
How to add your driver’s license or state ID to Apple Wallet
Before diving into these guidelines, make sure your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS. Courtesy of the Maryland Department of Transportation, here are the step-by-step instructions for adding your ID to Apple Wallet:
1. Open the Wallet app.
2. Tap the plus (+) knob.
3. Find the “Driver’s License or State ID” option and select your state. like you do not seeing your state means it is not a participant in the Apple Wallet ID program. like you to do see your state (eg Maryland or Arizona), tap it.
4. Choose whether to add your ID to your iPhone nothing but or iPhone and Apple Watch.
5. Scan the front of your ID. Make sure it is placed on a simple dark background in a well-lit room.
6. Scan the back of the ID under the same conditions.
7. Tap “Get on.”
8. You will be taken to a page that says ‘Additional Verification’. Tap “Get on” again.
9. Follow the on-screen instructions to take a photo (to avoid fraud).
10. Then tap “Continue with Face ID‘, which sends your selfie and ID information to your state’s issuing authority.
11. Tap “Done.”
Once verified, you’ll receive an Apple Wallet notification that your digital record is ready for certain airport security checks. Be sure to check out our in-depth guide to what it’s like to clear TSA with an Apple Wallet ID.